Monday 11 August 2014

Budapest & Birthday!

Hello there! I've had a rather hectic couple of weeks I have to say. Firstly I was busy getting ready to go away to Budapest, then we were actually there, walking what must have been miles every day, and then the day after our return we went to my friends wedding, which was also my birthday! I really feel like I need another holiday now, preferably one where their is minimal movement and itineraries involved! Cocktails would be permitted.
Me and my boyfriend went to Budapest for a week and although there was an awful lot of pavement pounding, it was brilliant. There is so much stunning architecture to see and I've never seen so many statues! There really is so much to look at! We initially thought a week would be a bit too long, but in the end we only just managed to squeeze in everything we wanted to do. Surprisingly there is still some things I would like to go back and do/see! I think one of the highlights of the trip was our visit to the zoo. It wasn't expensive at all and again there was so much to see. We spent over 6 hours there and we didn't even see everything! My favourite animal has to be the sloth- I have a soft spot for them and  it was so close you could touch it! The wombat comes a close second, although it had it's back to us and seemed to be glued to it's food bowl! I also really like visiting the Fisherman's Bastion on the Buda side, across the river. It was so pretty and the views of the city were amazing. We also both enjoyed gawping at the parliament building, especially at night time when it was all lit up. Majestic is the word that springs to mind! The meal we had at our hotel restaurant, La Perle Noir,  was also a highlight. We decided to have the set 3 course menu, to sample some proper Hungarian cuisine, and we were definitely not disappointed! It was some of the best pork I've ever had and the 'cheesecake' for pudding was out of this world. It was nothing like any cheesecake I've had before as it was more like panna cotta in texture. It was served with proper strawberry ice cream, berries and cream and the combination was like the best trifle known to man!
Our hotel was in a great location as we were close to the metro as well as Heroes' Square and the park. I'd definitely recommend the Mamaison Hotel Andrassy. If we ever went back we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. I could write pages and pages about the trip but I'll just share some photos now and let them do the talking, as it were! Apologies now for picture overload!!

Heroes' Square

Parliament

Shoes on the Danube memorial

Andrassy Avenue (the street our hotel was on)

Sleepy sloth!

When we returned he was flat out on his back asleep. Must be a man. 

St Stephen's Basilica 

Gellert Hill

Oh my the views!

Fisherman's Bastion

Jak Church- the most complete Romanesque church in Hungary, apparently.

Dohany Street Synagogue

City Park 

Me and Stuey! Mwah x


Apart from the 5 hour delay getting home, I had a lovely holiday and I'm really glad I finally got to go back and have a proper visit.
The fun continued though, as on Saturday it was my 25th birthday as well as my friends wedding! We were invited to both the ceremony and reception, and I was so pleased I got to be apart of their special day. They are both so lovely and just perfect for each other. Starting to feel old now though has to be said! Everyone is turning into proper grown ups now, haha! 

Friends since we met each other in halls 7 years ago!


Hope you haven't found this post too long and boring! I think a bit of a chill out is in order for me now, especially before the madness of school starts again! 


2 comments:

  1. The photos are gorgeous! I want to go there now. Happy belated birthday! x x

    ReplyDelete