Sunday 2 December 2012

Pie!

Sorry I couldn't think of a more imaginative title for this post. I contemplated something with the words 'Winter' and 'Warmer' but I think it falls into the same cliche category of chunky knits and hot chocolate. Anyways I've had a craving to make pie lately, as you do, and  thought I would share with you what I made last night.
Earlier in the week I made a chicken pie that turned out successful. Though I was following a recipe from the book 'First Flat Cookbook' by Tiffany Goodall so it wasn't like I was winging it. Click here for a link to Amazon. It's a really good book...even if I don't have my own place yet. Bitterness aside, the instructions are easy to follow and there's pictures which always help.Last night though I thought I would make one that my sister could eat too as she's vegetarian. Actually she's a pescetarian, I believe. She has recently branched out to tuna and the like. She still thinks bacon is one of Satan's snacks. I decided on a mushroom filling and later added leeks and green beans on mums suggestion that a mushroom pie might be a little boring. It would have had onions too though... Mum was useful in other ways though as she kindly did the onion chopping for me. I'm not great at chopping at the best of times but it helps when my eyes are open at least and I'm not flapping my arms about like a flappy thing. I should have taken step by step pictures but I was sort of in a rush as I didn't want to miss Strictly. That is my highlight of the weekend. Possible my whole week actually, but that's how exciting my life is right now unfortunately. Oh, I tell a lie actually, I can't be missing my Mr Wallace fix of an evening. Frankly without witnessing his sex faces over buttery biscuit bases my week days are incomplete. Therefore I'll just give a rundown of what I did to create my masterpiece. 
  1. Fry a chopped onion, a punnet of sliced mushrooms, chopped green beans and leek along with two garlic cloves in about half a block of butter until everything is soft.This isn't a Weightwatchers recipe I can tell you that now. Season. I like lots of pepper.
  2. Add a tablespoon of plain flour and stir through. Next add some vegetable stock until the sauce is at a consistency you approve of. I do like the word consistency. 
  3. Add some double cream. As much or as little as you like. 
  4. Pour into a pie/casserole dish. Top with puff pastry. I just use the ready rolled stuff. So much easier. 
  5. Eggy wash! 
  6. Pop into a preheated oven (mines a fan oven so I set it at 180) until the pastry is all puffy and golden. 
  7. Serve with MASHED POTATO!
 
Source:BBC
 
Here is the pie in all it's glory! Look at that puffiness, just look at it! I felt like a true domestic goddess..


Sister approved and I have to say I was quite pleased with it. Simple but effective.

2 comments: