Wednesday 11 September 2013

Book Review: Brand New Friend

Wow, I've not done a book review on here in ages! This is the first book I've had the time to read in a long time, which is a shame as I love reading and being able to escape for a little while. This was also a complete bargain as I got it in Poundland as part of a 2 for a quid deal. The other one was called 'Sausage in a Basket: The Great British Book of How Not To Eat'. Strange name aside I actually really enjoyed it but then again I am a bit of a food fiend!
To be concise this is about a guy called Rob who moves to Manchester from London to live with his girlfriend and has to leave behind all his mates. Consequently he has to make new ones which at the age of 32 he finds difficult as everyone already has their own friends. The trouble starts when he finally meets someone who he clicks with. The problem is that she is a girl and the age old issue of whether guys and girls can stay as being 'just friends' surfaces.
I've never read anything by Mike Gayle before but I thought it was well written and accurate in the way he described the complexity of  relationships. The chapters were also quite short too which I like as it keeps the story going at a good pace. The characters were believable and it wasn't as predictable as I first thought it would be. I really do hate predictability, it's so lazy! It was also a change for me as the books I read normally have a female as the main character so it was good to read something from a males viewpoint. Even is he did act like a knob at times.
Overall whilst I didn't find this book amazing I did enjoy it and would recommend it. I love reading books that explore relationships and this do so very well.


What have you read lately? I'd love some recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment